Connect with us

Politics

2023: Nigerians Demand Immediate Extension Of PVC Registration, Threaten INEC

Published

on

BREAKING: What Happened After Politicians Tried To Hack INEC BVAS And Servers

2023: Nigerians have demanded immediate extension of PVC registration, threaten INEC over the issue.

News ToGo learnt that As the deadline for the Continuous Voters Registration, CVR elapsed yesterday, Nigerians who were unable to get captured have appealed to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to extend the exercise.

It was earlier reported that several registration centers were flooded by anxious Nigerians on Sunday to beat the deadline which was issued by the electoral body on June 25.

Recall that INEC had extended the exercise from June 30 to July 31 2022, to enable eligible Nigerians to apply for the Permanent Voter’s Card ahead of the 2023 general elections.

However, despite the extension of the service to churches and other places in a bid to aid the registration, many Nigerians are yet to get registered.

When Daily Post visited some centers in Abuja on Sunday, intending voters were raging in anger, alleging that there are plots to disenfranchise some Nigerians.

One of the angered PVC applicants, Mr Ojo K.T, who spoke with our correspondent in Kubwa CVR centre, said he had been trying to register since Monday.

He said, “I think they just don’t want us to vote. Look at the people that are going to be denied the opportunity to participate in the election. What is wrong in this country?

“If you look around, you will notice that most of us here that have been here since 3am this morning are youths. They are afraid of the revolution that is coming and that is why they are deliberately pushing us away”.

According to him, the only language the President Muhammadu Buhari’s government understands is protest, saying “we must hit the street to demand the extension of the exercise. It is our right to vote and nobody should violate that right”.

It was reported that some of the centers lack adequate equipment for the exercise.

In Bwari INEC office, only two computers were seen despite the crowd thronging the center since the exercise commenced.

Also speaking, President General of the Coalition of South East Youth Leaders, COSEYL, Goodluck Ibem lamented how several Southeast residents were unable to register during the exercise.

He said, “The 2022 voters’ registration exercise looks like a calculated attempt by some politicians to deny the people of Southeast the opportunity of registering for their voter’s card”.

According to him, the Southeast was deliberately deprived of adequate equipment for the exercise, alleging that the situation is different in parts of the North.

“In the North, we are very aware that the INEC provided sufficient and adequate registration materials for the exercise”, he added.

Similarly, an activist, Adetunji Abiola told our correspondent that the failure of the electoral body to extend the registration exercise may cause mass protest across the country.

He said, “Now that Nigerian youths want to fully participate in elections for the first time, we have been denied the opportunity to do that. I can tell you that over a million Nigerian youths are going to be disenfranchised if we don’t act on time.

“We give this government at least a week to reopen the INEC portal for more registration or they may force us to the street so that the international community can come to our aid”.

However, the INEC National Commissioner, Voter Education and Publicity, Barr. Festus Okoye had in a chat with journalists in Awka, Anambra State capital on Saturday, ruled out the possibility of extending the exercise.

Politics

Confusion In Edo As Two Contenders Emerge APC Guber Candidates

Published

on

Confusion In Edo As Two Contenders Emerge APC Guber Candidates

Controversy brewed yesterday as two governorship candidates emerged winners of the All Progressives Congress (APC) ticket from parallel primaries conducted ahead of the September 21 governorship election in the state.

News ToGo reports that a member of the House of Representatives, Dennis Idahosa, was initially declared the winner by the chairman of the APC Primary Election Committee, Governor Hope Uzodimma, at Protea Hotel. However, at the residence of Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, Senator Monday Okpephole was announced as the winner by the Returning Officer for the election, Dr. Stanley Ugboaje.

In one of the primaries supervised by Uzodimma, Idahosa secured victory with 40,453 votes. Conversely, Okpepholo emerged triumphant in the parallel primary overseen by Dr. Ugboaje, garnering 12,145 votes.

Announcing the results, Uzodimma affirmed the peaceful conduct of the exercise across the state’s 18 local government areas and 192 wards. He declared, “Dennis Idahosa, having scored the highest votes cast, is hereby declared winner of the primary and returned as the candidate of the party.”

In the second primary, Dr. Stanley Ugboaje announced Okpepholo as the winner with 12,145 votes, while Idahosa secured 5,536 votes to emerge second.

Prior to the conclusion of the declaration at Lushville Hotel and Suite, suspected thugs disrupted the process, compelling the officials to relocate to Pastor Ize-Iyamu’s residence. Journalists covering the event were assaulted, and their equipment damaged. Despite the presence of the State Commissioner of Police, Funsho Adeboye, the disruption persisted.

Meanwhile, the APC has urged the public to disregard any unauthorized announcement of the primary election result. National Publicity Secretary of the party, Felix Morka, emphasized that only the Governor Hope Uzodinma-led Edo State APC Governorship Primary Election Committee is authorized to undertake the final collation and announcement of results.

Continue Reading

Politics

LP Crisis: Peter Obi Speaks After Abure Was Implicated In N3.5B Saga, Reveals Next Action

Published

on

Peter May To Dump Labour Party As Fresh Twist Emerges

Labour Party’s presidential candidate for the 2023 general elections, Peter Obi, announced the engagement of an external auditor to scrutinize the party’s finances.

News ToGo reports that this follows allegations of misappropriation made by Oluchi Opara, the party’s national treasurer, who accused Julius Abure, the national chairman, of mishandling N3.5 billion. Responding to these accusations, the party suspended Opara, citing external influences seeking to harm the LP. Abure pledged legal action against Opara for defamation.

Addressing the issue in a press conference on Thursday, Obi stated, “We will account for everything now that we have an independent person who will tell us which way forward.” Accompanied by Aisha Yesufu, a member of his 2023 campaign team, Obi clarified, “I’m not involved in the party’s management and the campaign accounts.”

He assured transparency in handling funds received during the election and called on the public to provide any information on fund disbursement. Obi emphasized the importance of accountability in the party’s financial affairs moving forward.

Continue Reading

Politics

KARMA: Alleged APC’s Memo Asking Police To Grab, Silence 16 Politicians In Kano Leaks (FULL LIST)

Published

on

KARMA: Alleged APC's Memo Asking Police To Grab, Silence 16 Politicians In Kano Leaks (FULL LIST)

A leaked memo from the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano State has surfaced, revealing the party’s attempt to engage the Nigeria Police Force to apprehend and silence 16 prominent individuals in the state allegedly for inciting the public against the party through social media posts.

News ToGo learned that the letter, dated January 5, 2024, and signed by the State Secretary of the APC, Ibrahim Zakari, urged the Nigerian Police Force to arrest the identified individuals and institute legal proceedings against them based on directives provided by the party.

In the memo, the APC expressed confidence in the victory of its gubernatorial candidate, Dr. Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna, in the state’s gubernatorial election held in March 2023. Consequently, the party authorized the Nigeria Police Force to treat the letter as official instructions.

The letter states: “On behalf of the Kano State APC Chairman, we request that the individuals listed in the table below be traced and arrested immediately after the Supreme Court’s verdict on Friday, January, 12″ 2024, which will declare Dr. Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna as winner.

“We also request that your department should as a matter of urgency, file charges and accuse them of using the social media in uttering unguarded statements capable of promoting violence and inciting people against the APC government. We have enough record of such posts. The name of the court you should convey their cases will be sent to you in due time. Please let us know what it will take.”

The list of individuals to be apprehended includes:

  1. Salisu Yahaya Hotoro
  2. Aliyu Dahiru Aliyu
  3. Kabiru Sa’idu Dakata
  4. Sunusi Bature Dawakin Tofa
  5. Nasiru Zango
  6. Sufyan Safjamil Kabo
  7. Hajiya A’in Jafaru Darmanawa
  8. Alhajiji Nagoda Hon, Ibrahim Zakari
  9. Ibrahim Zakari Zawaciki
  10. Sani Musa Danja
  11. Hon. Auwalu Lawan Aranposu
  12. Sunusi Osca
  13. Kwankwason Dakata
  14. Ishak Abdul
  15. Aminu Abdullahi Kima
  16. Habu Tabule

The party reportedly promised to send the home and office addresses of the listed persons alongside another list.

The Supreme Court recently overturned the judgments of the election tribunal and Court of Appeal, affirming Governor Kabir Yusuf as the duly elected governor of Kano State. Gawuna, who had initially won at the tribunal and the Appeal Court contested Governor Yusuf’s victory over alleged malpractices.

Gawuna, in response to the Supreme Court’s verdict, expressed acceptance, stating, “The Supreme Court judgment is God’s decision, saying he had accepted it in good faith.”

Continue Reading

Trending