Connect with us

News

Government Warns Against Drinking From Osun River

Published

on

Government has warned against drinking from Osun River over the risk associated with doing that.

Government has warned against drinking from Osun River over the risk associated with doing that.

News ToGo reports that As the grand finale of the annual Osun festival takes place today, the Osun State Government has warned tourists, devotees and visitors not to drink water from the Osun River due to contamination.

The State’s Commissioner for Health, Dr Rafiu Isamotu gave the warning in an interview with newsmen on Thursday in Osogbo.

Recall that in December, a civic group, Urban Alert, raised the alarm that the Osun river has been heavily contaminated with mercury, lead, cyanide and other injurious elements that are poisonous to human health. Laboratory Tests and Geographical Information Analysis established the presence of heavy elements in the river and blamed it on the activities of miners.

Confirming the presence of deadly elements in the Osun River, on Thursday, the State government said it has embarked on the sensitisation to discourage people from drinking the water during the festival as it had been contaminated by the activities of artisanal miners and dangerous for human consumption.

“There are radio jingles on the health hazard of drinking water from the Osun River due to contamination,” Isamotu said while speaking with journalists.

He noted that the government cannot stop the activities of Osun festival as it is “a cultural thing and no matter how hard you try, some people will not oblige,” while assured that the government will continue to sensitise the devotees.

“There may not be a quick fix to this pollution, but as a government, we will continue to do the needful,” he said.

The commissioner disclosed that public health officials would be at the grove during the festival to further sensitise people on the dangers of drinking the water.

“Government has taken cognizance of this pollution and is working really hard to prevent the activities of artisanal miners. It is a menace; it is very difficult, but we cannot fold our arms,’’ he stressed.

News

BREAKING: London To Lagos Solo Driver Lands In Nigeria

Published

on

BREAKING: London To Lagos Solo Drivers Lands In Nigeria

A 28-year-old travel content creator, Pelumi Nubi, who embarked on a solo road trip from London, has completed her remarkable journey by arriving in Lagos.

News ToGo reports that the representatives of the Lagos State Government, including Commissioner of Tourism, Arts, and Culture, Mrs. Toke Benson-Awoyinka, and the Special Adviser, Tourism, Arts, and Culture, Idris Aregbe warmly welcomed her at the Nigeria-Benin Republic border

Nubi began her adventurous journey on January 31, overcoming numerous challenges along the way.

In March, she encountered a crash, with a video showing significant damage to the front of her vehicle and a shattered windshield.

Starting her expedition from England, Nubi traversed through France, Spain, Morocco, the West Sahara Desert, Mauritania, Senegal, The Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Ghana, Togo, Benin, before finally arriving in Lagos.

As a seasoned travel content creator who had previously visited 77 countries by the age of 27 and now surpassing 80 out of the world’s 193 countries, Nubi aimed to demonstrate that “impossible” is merely a word. She emphasized that with determination and grit, one can overcome any obstacle.

Gboyega Akosile, Special Adviser, Media and Publicity to the Lagos Governor, expressed the state’s excitement, tweeting: “Lagos State Government gives a hero’s welcome to @peluminubi_, a Nigeria-British citizen who did a solo drive from London to Lagos.”

“Pelumi was received at the Nigeria-Benin Republic border on behalf of Lagos State Government by the Hon Commissioner of Tourism, Arts, and Culture, Mrs. Toke Benson-Awoyinka and the Special Adviser, Tourism, Arts, and Culture @IdrisConnecting. Welcome home!”

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Tells Governors To Spend The Money Amid Rising Prices

Published

on

6 Major Decisions Tinubu Made During Meeting With Governors (FULL LIST)

President Bola Tinubu emphasized the importance of prioritizing the welfare of citizens during an emergency meeting with governors today, Thursday, February 15, in Abuja.

News ToGo reports that speaking on the issue of salary arrears and gratuities for retired workers, Tinubu urged governors to clear these payments promptly, emphasizing, “spend the money, don’t spend the people.”

This directive underscores the need to prioritize the financial well-being of citizens by ensuring timely disbursement of funds owed to workers and retirees. Tinubu’s plea reflects the government’s commitment to alleviating financial burdens on the populace amidst increased monthly FAAC revenue to states.

Continue Reading

News

AFCON: Yul Edochie Breaks Silence Amid Backlash Against Him Over Fake Prophecy

Published

on

AFCON: Yul Edochie Breaks Silence Amid Backlash Against Him Over Fake Prophecy

Yul Edochie, the Nollywood actor turned pastor, has responded to the criticism surrounding his erroneous prophecy about the AFCON 2023 final.

News ToGo reports that before the match on Sunday, Yul had predicted on his Instagram page that the Nigeria Super Eagles would emerge victorious over Ivory Coast in the final. He stated, “Today’s game will not get a penalty shootout. Nigeria will comfortably defeat the Ivory Coast.”

However, the Super Eagles suffered a 2-1 defeat to Ivory Coast, leading to disappointment among Nigerians on social media who labeled Yul’s prophecy as fake.

In response to the backlash, Yul posted on his page, saying, “It is well. Thank you Super Eagles. Getting to the finals is as good as winning. We are proud of you all. Great performance in the tournament. Win or lose, good or bad, we’ve been here. I love my country Nigeria. Better days ahead. Giant of Africa.”

Continue Reading

Trending