Connect with us

News

Malami Blasts Governors Over $418 Million, Says Their Complaints Baseless

Published

on

Malami Accused Of Plotting To Unlawfully Extradite Nigerian Citizen To US

Malami has blasted Nigerian Governors over $418 million, says that their complaints is baseless.

News ToGo learnt that as the controversies surrounding the Paris Club Refund continue, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami carpeted State Governors and accused them of crying over milk they had already spilt.

Malami said the Governors were not in a position to complain about deductions from the Paris Club refund because they collectively hired consultants who aided the refunds.

The Minister said this on Thursday, when he was featured at the Ministerial Media Briefing organized by the Presidential Communications Team at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He said the governors acting as state chief executives created the debt liability whose payment they have also indemnified.

Addressing the controversy caused by the recent deductions made from the refund, the Minister affirmed that when the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) asked for refunds, one of the components was the settlement of the consultants who were engaged by the forum.

Malami recalled that when the refund was paid to the states, part payments were also made to the consultants.

However, he said the governors later decided to stop payment while asking for an out-of-court settlement.

The Minister said this resulted in requests to the President to make the payment, a request he said, was then passed on to the Office of the AGF for a legal opinion.

Malami noted that after being subjected to necessary checks, it was found that there was no element of fraud involved.

He explained that the indemnity of the governors was also sought and received.

“On the issue of Paris club that is raised. You mentioned that there exists a presidential directive that payments should not be made and then in breach of that position payments were perhaps arising from the conspiracy between the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice.

” I think you need to be informed first, as to the antecedents, prevailing circumstances and how the liability arose but one thing I’m happy to state, which I want to reiterate having stated same earlier, is the fact that the Office of the Attorney General and the government of President Muhammadu Buhari has not indeed incurred any major judgment debt for the period of seven years it has been on.

“Now, coming to the antecedents background of the Paris Club. The liability or judgement debts related to Paris Club were indeed a liability created by the governor’s forum in their own right.

“How do I mean? The Governor’s forum comprising of all the governors sat down and commonly agreed on the engagement of a consultant to provide certain services for them relating to the recovery of the Paris Club. So, it was the governor’s forum under the federal government in the first place that engaged the consultant.

“Two, when eventually, successes were recorded associated with the refund, associated with Paris Club, the governors collectively and individually presented a request to the federal government for the fund. And among the components of the claim presented for the consideration of the federal government was a component related to the payment of these consultants that are now constituting the subject of contention. So the implication of that is that the governors in their own right recognized the consultant, recognized their claim and presented such claims to the federal government.

“Three, when the claims were eventually processed and paid to the governor’s forum. They indeed on their own, without the intervention of the federal government took steps to make part payments to the consultants, acknowledging their liability over same.

“When eventually they made such payments at a point they took a decision to stop the payment. The consultants instituted an action in court against the Governor’s forum and what happened in court? They submitted to consent judgment. They asked and urged the Court to allow them to settle out of court.

“The court granted them an opportunity to settle. They commit terms of settlement in writing, they signed the terms of the settlement, agreeing and conceding that such payments be made to the consultant.

And then five, thereafter, the federal government under the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari was requested to comply with the judgment and effect payment. The President passed all the requests of the governess to the Office of the Attorney General for consideration. I suggested to the President on the face value of the judgment and the undertones associated with the consultancy services.

“It was my opinion, the same treatment we meted to P&ID, that let us subject this claim, the consent judgment to investigations by the agencies of the government. Mr. President approved, I directed the EFCC and DSS to look into these claims and report back to the office of the Attorney General. And these agencies reported and concluded that there are no problems associated with it. The government may continue to sanction the payment dependent. Now, that was the background.

“Even at that, we took further steps after receiving these reports from the EFCC among others, to demand indemnity from the governors. You, as a forum, you incurred this liability, as a forum you submitted to consent judgment.

” We have subjected these claims to investigation and we have a report, but even at that, we need independent indemnity from you, establishing that it is with your consent and understanding that these payments should be made, in writing. And I’m happy to report to you that the governors individually and collectively provided the desired indemnity to the Office of the Attorney General, conceding, agreeing and submitting, that the payment should be made.

“Yes, and that was the ground and the basis on which we eventually took a decision by advising the president that the payment should be made. And then along the line, there was a change of leadership in the governor’s forum. And all the noise-making that is now being generated arising from the governor’s forum is not only unjustified but indeed, a clear case of absence of defence.

“But one other point of interest you may wish to note is the fact that the new leadership of the governor’s forum instituted an action, even when the federal government was indeed acting on the basis of the judgment of the Supreme Court.

“They now embarked on a fresh legal suit, challenging the payment, challenging the previous agreement, challenging the indemnity and the court dismissed the application. Their case was dismissed by the Federal High Court.

“So that is the foundation and I’m happy to report one, that the judgment and contention was a judgment that was obtained long before the Attorney General, Abubakar Malami came into office, long before the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari came into office.

“It was a product of their own doing and they had it is submitted to judicial proceeding, judgment was entered against them. They have committed to the payment of the money, they have on their own indeed effected part payment. I closed my case and I will not like to answer any further questions on that, ” Malami told reporters at the event.

News

BREAKING: London To Lagos Solo Driver Lands In Nigeria

Published

on

BREAKING: London To Lagos Solo Drivers Lands In Nigeria

A 28-year-old travel content creator, Pelumi Nubi, who embarked on a solo road trip from London, has completed her remarkable journey by arriving in Lagos.

News ToGo reports that the representatives of the Lagos State Government, including Commissioner of Tourism, Arts, and Culture, Mrs. Toke Benson-Awoyinka, and the Special Adviser, Tourism, Arts, and Culture, Idris Aregbe warmly welcomed her at the Nigeria-Benin Republic border

Nubi began her adventurous journey on January 31, overcoming numerous challenges along the way.

In March, she encountered a crash, with a video showing significant damage to the front of her vehicle and a shattered windshield.

Starting her expedition from England, Nubi traversed through France, Spain, Morocco, the West Sahara Desert, Mauritania, Senegal, The Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Ghana, Togo, Benin, before finally arriving in Lagos.

As a seasoned travel content creator who had previously visited 77 countries by the age of 27 and now surpassing 80 out of the world’s 193 countries, Nubi aimed to demonstrate that “impossible” is merely a word. She emphasized that with determination and grit, one can overcome any obstacle.

Gboyega Akosile, Special Adviser, Media and Publicity to the Lagos Governor, expressed the state’s excitement, tweeting: “Lagos State Government gives a hero’s welcome to @peluminubi_, a Nigeria-British citizen who did a solo drive from London to Lagos.”

“Pelumi was received at the Nigeria-Benin Republic border on behalf of Lagos State Government by the Hon Commissioner of Tourism, Arts, and Culture, Mrs. Toke Benson-Awoyinka and the Special Adviser, Tourism, Arts, and Culture @IdrisConnecting. Welcome home!”

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Tells Governors To Spend The Money Amid Rising Prices

Published

on

6 Major Decisions Tinubu Made During Meeting With Governors (FULL LIST)

President Bola Tinubu emphasized the importance of prioritizing the welfare of citizens during an emergency meeting with governors today, Thursday, February 15, in Abuja.

News ToGo reports that speaking on the issue of salary arrears and gratuities for retired workers, Tinubu urged governors to clear these payments promptly, emphasizing, “spend the money, don’t spend the people.”

This directive underscores the need to prioritize the financial well-being of citizens by ensuring timely disbursement of funds owed to workers and retirees. Tinubu’s plea reflects the government’s commitment to alleviating financial burdens on the populace amidst increased monthly FAAC revenue to states.

Continue Reading

News

AFCON: Yul Edochie Breaks Silence Amid Backlash Against Him Over Fake Prophecy

Published

on

AFCON: Yul Edochie Breaks Silence Amid Backlash Against Him Over Fake Prophecy

Yul Edochie, the Nollywood actor turned pastor, has responded to the criticism surrounding his erroneous prophecy about the AFCON 2023 final.

News ToGo reports that before the match on Sunday, Yul had predicted on his Instagram page that the Nigeria Super Eagles would emerge victorious over Ivory Coast in the final. He stated, “Today’s game will not get a penalty shootout. Nigeria will comfortably defeat the Ivory Coast.”

However, the Super Eagles suffered a 2-1 defeat to Ivory Coast, leading to disappointment among Nigerians on social media who labeled Yul’s prophecy as fake.

In response to the backlash, Yul posted on his page, saying, “It is well. Thank you Super Eagles. Getting to the finals is as good as winning. We are proud of you all. Great performance in the tournament. Win or lose, good or bad, we’ve been here. I love my country Nigeria. Better days ahead. Giant of Africa.”

Continue Reading

Trending